Welcome to Reedville

Reedville Virginia is a quaint little village straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting dubbed as America's Working fishing village 



When sea captain Elijah Reed of Maine pulled into the Chesapeake Bay in 1874, he saw dollar signs shimmering in the schools of silvery fish that flourished here. Reed brought with him a little nugget of knowledge that was passed down to the pilgrims of Plymouth Rock by Native Americans: These small fish were a valuable fertilizer.

Reed developed a process to extract the oil from the fish in large quantities, turning it into fish oil, meal and fertilizer. Reedville prospered and within a decade it was one of the busiest fishing ports on the east coast and one of the wealthiest towns in America. The town was so prosperous that main street with all of the elaborate Victorian houses was dubbed Millionaires Row.

Main Street itself has been revitalized in recent years by a new wave of residents, both full time and weekenders, who have carefully restored the old Victorian homes there. Several have been turned into bed and breakfasts, including The Gables.



 Captain Fisher, made rich by the turn-of-the-century menhaden fishery, started construction on his new estate the Gables in 1906. Building the Gables took eight years because what was built one day, Captain Fisher was likely to have torn down and rebuilt the next. The captain aligned the 4 points of the roof on the five-story mansion along his compass so that the house resembles a compass rose from the air. Captain Fisher had his beloved schooner, the “John B. Adams” disassembled and used the wood in the house.  He erected the wooden mast of the ship, through the center of the top two stories of the house.  The house has stacked 10-inch walls with brick brought by steamboat from Baltimore, and a wrap around porch made of heart pine.  A local historian, Miriam Haynie writes, “Finally, it was finished and stood in all its gabled Queen Anne glory — with a fountain in front, a coach house on the side and a handsome wrought-iron fence to enclose it all.” The Fishers moved into their new home in 1914






tommy's at night.jpg


Steaks and Seafood


Tommy's Restaurant

Full bar, Reservations appreciated full menu at www.Tommysfinedining.com For Reservations call:  (804)453-4666

crazy crab.jpg

The Crazy CRab


The Crazy CRab

Full menu at places.singleplatform.com  Call:  (804) 453 - 6789  


Reedville Fishermans Musem

Reedville fishermans Museum 

The center of Reedville’s cultural and social life is the Reedville Fishermen’s Museum. The museum was founded with the mission of preserving the heritage of the watermen who have plied their trade here for hundreds of years, and the menhaden industry that has existed in Reedville for over a century.

In addition to a permanent exhibit on the fishery and a rotating gallery, the museum hosts numerous clubs and groups, including a knitting club, quilting club, modeling club and photography club.

There is a fully outfitted boat workshop with a dedicated group that builds, repairs and maintains boats, including deadrises, sailing vessels and nationally-recognized historic craft. 

The museum also has several boats listed on the National Register of Historical Places, including the skipjack Claud W. Somers and the deck boat Elva C.

Beyond its mission, the museum hosts a variety of community events and fundraisers, some in conjunction with the local churches, throughout the year. These include Family Day in March, the Blessing of the Fleet in May, Independence Day in July, an Antique and Classic Boat Show in September, the RFM Oyster Roast in November and Christmas on Cockrell’s Creek in December, which includes a visit from Santa and tours of some of the area’s more interesting homes. 

The Christmas season also includes the opening of the model train display. Painstakingly created over the years by the modeling club, the model trains run through many landmarks real and imagined along Cockrell’s Creek.


Chitterchats Icecream

Call:  (804) 453 - 3335